Thursday, September 10, 2015

Week 8

Monday - Still hurting as bad as the weekend. Watched Barbara load up the truck and then we headed towards home and the final radiation rendezvous. Had the nurse take a few photos of me on the table. Here's my favorite.


I also have a good before and after comparison showing how much weight I lost.



Did the math quickly in my head and came up with just under 2 pounds lost per hour spent laying on this table. After the ordeal I was handed my mask and a "graduation" certificate. I wore both when I met Barbara in the waiting room.


Tuesday - Don't seem to be suffering any more than yesterday. But then again, I'm not suffering any less. Needed to make a few Happy Birthday phone calls today, but I still don't want to talk.

Wednesday - Seem to feel a bit better; willing to utter brief sentences. Swallowing has improved from F!-ing painful to merely painful. Got a call from the pharmacy that my prescription is ready. Long ago the clinic handed me a scrip for oxycodone "just in case". After all the pain on the weekend I called Walgreen's Monday morning. My pain relief is finally here. Took the maximum recommended adult dose and waited. About 30 minutes later the pain relief was no better than after a dose of ibuprofen, but then again, ibuprofen doesn't bend your brain like this either. I haven't even had a beer in over a month and a half, but now I have a pleasant, mild brain buzz going on.  Waited about 90 minutes longer (not the recommended 4 - 6 hours) and took a second dose. Still no significant pain relief compared to 2 ibuprofen, but I know I'm going to sleep really well tonight. Sweet Dreams to you, too.

Thursday - Managed a 2-1/2 mile dog walk with only one rest stop! Now that's progress. Learned that oxycodone is now only good for assuring a good night's sleep. It doesn't really dent the pain and Wednesday's mind bending episode is history that won't seem to repeat itself. Food is still tasteless.

Friday -The forecast today is for a high of about 60. Well, it is September, after all. Hit the wall early today and decided to lay down on the couch mid-morning just for a moment. Woke up an hour and a half later; moved to the other couch and took yet another nap. That was the theme for the day; just a succession of naps.

Saturday - So much for recovering from chemo fatigue. Today's "usual" walk with the dogs required 3 rest stops en route and a nap when I got home. Not as zonked as yesterday, but still pretty useless.When I woke up, the clouds had parted and we could see fresh snow on the Cascades. It won't last long, but it sure is pretty right now.

Sunday - Nothing much new to report. Mouth and throat pain are getting better daily. Actually got on the phone today and caught up with a few people. It was strange to hear my voice again. A week without really talking changes things. Voice seems to be deeper and has a pronounced rattle or raspy quality. I assume this will return to "normal? with use.



No comments:

Post a Comment